Saturday 1 October 2011

One Day




My sister and I have been trying to get to the cinema as much as possible recently and this week we went to see One Day. I have been vowing to read the book for ages, but I gave in and jumped straight to the film adaptation. I hate doing this because I have yet to find a film I liked better than the original novel... The Da Vinci Code - need I say more?! Anyway, we went.




I knew the basic concept of the story: following a man and a woman over their lives on the same day each year and that was it. I found it difficult to get into at the start and once I did start to "get it" - she...(I better not ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen/read it yet). I do think the story is a realistic portrayal of a romance and at least it isn't sugar coated with a stereotypical "happy ending". I have to say though, that I found the whole thing a bit depressing actually. The concept of toing and froing with the same man over years and years of heartache and other relationships to only end up with each other for the shortest of times really made me sad. I am sure this happens every day and thats why I found it to be so true to life.




That was the other thing about the film. I ended up feeling quite heartless. My sister and I both sat and looked at each other quizzically as pretty much everyone else in the screening weeped like babies. Tissues, blowing of noses, whimpering sounds - the lot! I don't know if I just didn't connect with the actors or it was the story itself, but it did not make me want to cry. I understand that a LOT of women will make similarities to their own lives and perhaps this was more why they were upset? I don't know.




I think we all have people in (or out) of our lives that pop up periodically and either the timing or situation dictates that nothing happens, despite of feelings. I wonder if ultimately it is one of those people that could be your "soulmate"? I guess that is the point of the story. The fact that two people can live their own lives and take their own paths, but the love you have for someone in particular can always be there.




I do love how the film ends by revisitng the start of the story. The innocence, excitement and hope that exudes from the pair of friends at the beginning of their journey is charming, to even me!




Verdict? The film was not a roaring success in my opinion, but I do think the book will be a million times better so I am going to read that and get back to making a conclusion once I have done this. Perhaps the written word will be able to squeeze a tear or two from me, so I shall have tissues at the ready in hope!




No comments:

Post a Comment