Sunday 16 October 2011

A wee craft project










As promised, here is a little photo story of my attempt at a project from HOMEMADE GIFTS VINTAGE STYLE. I supposed I took the easy way out, because it was probably the simplest project in the book. Having said that, there isn't any of the projects that look intimidating or complicated.



The project was for a layered corsage which you could then use in a variety of ways. Basically, layer up some fabric shapes of your choice, add some decorative bits and bobs and either attach a brooch pin, hair clip or anything else you fancy. I kinda deviated from the guidelines in that I used a different shape, added on a wee bow and used a proper brooch pin instead of a safety pin like they used.



I think one thing you have to remember about this book is that the photography and the materials they have used are beautiful and have been carefully selected for that purpose. I have a huge stash of vintage materials, homewares and other bits and bobs and even I would struggle to recreate the aesthetic they have created. I think this book is perfect for people looking for inspiration who can adapt and change the ideas to suit what they have available. It certainly would not be a good present idea for anyone who likes to follow instrustions to the letter and end up with item after item that is exactly the same. There is a great wee introduction at the start of the book which basically explains this.



Bottom line is that this is a great coffee table book to flick through and look at the pretty photos and take inspiration from, but it does not have great substance when it comes to craft techniques. I am glad it is part of my ever growing library, but I don't think I will be referencing it very often other than to ooohh and aaahhhh at the photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment