Sunday 6 May 2012

My Saturday Project

I am being a bit lazy today - I can't really be bothered writing a step-by-step guide to what I did so here is a photo version! It is all pretty self explanatory. What I will say is that:

A - it did take a lot longer than I expected to strip it back to the bare ottoman because whoever had it befor me was lazy and kept putting new layers of material over the old grotty one beneath! It was rather disgusting! Safe to say that I found 3 layers of material, a million upholstery tacks/staples/nails and the wadding could have crawled into the rubbish bag with no help!

B - I should have bought a spray primer to layer underneath my matt cream spray paint, but I thought I would have enough cream to completely cover the pink. It was 90% there, but I could still spot bits I wasn't happy with. That being said - to most people it probably would have been ok, but I am a perfectionist. I used a spray paint because I wanted to keep as much of the detail in the weave part as possible. I used normal paint on the inside because it was a lot cheaper and I didn't have enough spray paint anyway. If I had had any spare spray paint - I would have given the inside a light coat to finish to hide any hints of brush strokes.

C - I would have preferred to use a big piece of foam for the wadding instead of loose fibres, but I didn't want to wait another day to finish the project and I didn't have foam in my studio. It doesn't really matter either way, but to make the top more of a seat I think it would have been preferable.

So... I had all the materials (apart from the spray paint, which was £7) already and I bought the ottoman from a charity shop for £3. Do you think it was worth £10?! The only thing I haven't yet replaced was a little handle for the front which I doubt will cost me much, but will finish it off nicely.















No comments:

Post a Comment